About Port Authority
State Enterprise KLAIPEDA STATE SEAPORT AUTHORITY
Klaipeda State Seaport is the main transport hub and the gate of Lithuania to the world. Before the restoration of independence of Lithuania in 1990 there were two separate ports: sea commercial port and fishing port. In the territory of the port there were about 20 enterprises and organizations that belonged to different authorities.
In 1991 Klaipeda port authority was founded by the Decree of the Government of Lithuania and in 1992 Klaipeda port got the status of state seaport. In 1996 a law was passed relating to the Klaipeda State Seaport, which stated that the land and water territory, the quay-walls, hydro-technical equipment navigation routes, canals and other objects of infrastructure – belong to the state and could not be privatised.
The state manages all those objects and assures their activities via State Enterprise Klaipeda State Seaport Authority, the main objective of which is – to permanently develop the port, maintain its competitiveness and increase cargo handling volumes.
The main functions of SE Klaipeda State Seaport Authority, stated in the Law on Klaipeda State Seaport of the Republic of Lithuania (16 May 1996 No. I-1340), are the following:
- to coordinate the protection of the port territory effected by port users and ensure safe navigation in the port;
- to ensure Harbour Master’s activities;
- to maintain and handle port reserve territories pursuant to the procedure set by the Government of the Republic of Lithuania;
- to efficiently use and manage the state-owned property entrusted upon the Port Authority by the right of trusteeship;
- to lease port land, also to transfer it into temporary free use pursuant to the procedure set by the Government of the Republic of Lithuania;
- to collect port dues;
- to organize rescue operations of ships and humans in the port basin;
- to draw up port strategy projects, master plans of the port and port reserve territories, to organize their implementation, scientific research works and to advertise the port;
- to study designs pertaining to reconstruction of port-based structures and the construction of new objects, to subject them to approval, to establish and approve mandatory technical conditions;
- to implement preventive measures intended for protection of the port against pollution and to organize elimination of the consequences of pollution;
- to construct, use and develop port infrastructure;
- to maintain design depth in the port basin and at the berths and piers;
- to organize and carry out port environment protection;
- upon coordination with municipal institutions, to carry out preparatory infrastructure development works in the port reserve territories;
- to ensure maintenance in non-leased parts of the port land (territory);
- to make arrangements for social and utility services for seamen.
Independent stevedoring companies, ship building and ship - repair yards and other companies the activities of which are connected with the port, execute their economic-commercial activities in the port and they make land lease contracts with SE Klaipeda State Seaport Authority.
The common task of SE Klaipeda State Seaport Authority and the private companies working within the port – is to make the port more attractive, safe for vessels to sail, comfortable for handling operations and storage of cargo and able to compete with other eastern Baltic ports.
In order to implement this objective port infrastructure is permanently modernized: new and modern container, ro-ro, bulk cargo terminals are constructed, there work oil, metals, bulk and packed fertilizer terminals, modern cargo handling techniques and technologies are used, there is well-developed road and rail network, signalization and electricity supply systems, safe navigation system is implemented, favourable port dues system is created as well as flexible cargo handling tariffs. Modern VTS management, search and rescue systems are created in Klaipeda port, oil spill combating is assured. The port territory is surveyed by TV cameras 24 hours a day.
SE Klaipeda State Seaport Authority seeks – to be the leading port on the eastern coast of the Baltic Sea as well as attractive and comfortable port for the clients.
The mission of Klaipėda State Seaport Authority is the smooth functioning of Klaipeda Port, increase of its competitiveness, efficient use and development of the port infrastructure, building business-friendly environment for the maritime sector growth, implementing up-to-date technology, human resource improvement, international quality standards and compliance with the transparency requirements.